Brass, Aluminum, and Copper.


I still carry around with me two things on my stethoscope; my RN charm and my cross charm. These two pieces are very special to me. I was gifted these when I graduated nursing school.
The cross charm was given to me when I received the Nurturing the Nursing Profession Scholarship. When I was President of my school's student nurses association, we volunteered to help this scholarship fundraiser annually. The organizer of this scholarship was such a kind soul and remembered me when I would volunteer. In addition to the scholarship, she also gifted me my stethoscope charm and a great big hug.
The RN charm was given to me at my pinning ceremony. A pinning ceremony for a nurse is a right of passage to transition from student to healthcare professional. For some, this ceremony is more important than the actual graduation ceremony itself! In addition to being pinned from an RN, three awards were given out to students. Two were chosen by faculty, and one was voted upon by the student's peers. To my complete surprise, I was awarded two of the three; the leadership award voted upon by faculty and the student peer award. This night was truly unforgettable. With my award plaques, I was also given a small gift box. Inside was my RN stethoscope charm.
Nursing can be both challenging and rewarding at the same time. Whether I'm in the middle of helping to save a life or I'm listening to the heartbeat of a brand new baby, I catch glimpses of these little pieces on my stethoscope and I remember these beautiful memories of people who believed in me. It helps to provide some comfort in times when I am feeling scared or overwhelmed. It also helps me to distinguish my grey stethoscope from the 100s of others all over the hospital.
I knew that I wanted to be part of giving back and providing possibly the same type of joy to others in the healthcare field or just starting out in their healthcare journey. So that I why I started hand stamping and adding stethoscope charms in my Etsy shop. Each piece is hand stamped and hand formed from an RN (me)! They are also simple and easy to clean and wipe down with cleaning wipes. A little piece of encouragement to keep each of us going on those particularly difficult days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Coming to a Close

Rentelov Goes International

Small Space With a Big Imagination